Friday, August 6, 2010

Hello!

Georgian Bay outside Tobermory - July 2010
I'm on the road to being a fit girl - but it's taking a lot of work to change a lifetime of sedentary habits. I joined a gym about 18 months ago, try to go 3x a week, and am on the look out for ways to get myself (and my family) moving during the rest of the week. I fell out of these good habits about two months ago and am working on turning things around as well as trying to break out of my comfort zone. Keeping track of my activities on this blog *should* help to keep me accountable to myself!

So - how am I doing?

Going on vacation definitely helped to kick me back into gear, and then I kept up the good habits when I went back to work. Next thing I knew, I had three great weeks under my belt. Here's a recap:

Week of July 16 - First week of vacation

Friday - My office held a "Splash & Bash" at a cottage in the Kawaratha's. Spent the day jumping into the lake off the dock, swimming, and banana boating off the back of a speedboat. My son got to go waterskiing for the first time!
Saturday/Sunday - Short road trip to London to visit a few friends. Lazy days for the adults, but the kids went swimming.
Monday - Started getting ready for next week's camping trip. I should mention that the last time I camped was on a school trip in Grade 7...camping in a national park for 4 days without electricity or showers is going to be a HUGE change for me!
Tuesday/Wednesday - Short road trip to Collingwood to visit family. Swam in my cousin's pool both days, and took the kids on a 2-hour hike around the Scenic Caves and suspension bridge.
Thursday/Friday - More getting ready for the camping trip
Saturday - Walked the kids down to the local pool to swim. Tried diving for the first time after my husband & son convinced me that jumping straight in while holding my nose is "old lady swimming". Didn't drown - and even tried somersaulting into the water.

Week of July 25 - Camping Trip on the Bruce Peninsula!

Sunday - Set up camp, tour around the campsite, walked to lake and watched the kids swim.
Monday - Climbed the 25-metre lookout tower in the park; took the kids swimming at a sandy beach (Singing Sands, Lake Huron)
Tuesday - 5-hour hike/swim. Rocky trails, caves, and AMAZING beach at the Grotto on Georgian Bay. Lots of swimming and jumping off of rocks into the water.
Wednesday - Tore down camp and moved to nearby motel. Walked around town, walked to nearby lighthouse and beach, took the kids swimming.
Thursday - Took a ferry to Flowerpot Island for a 4-hour hike/swim on the island. So, so beautiful!
Friday - Moved out of motel, walk around town, took kids swimming at a sandy beach, headed for home. Took a detour to visit Colpoy's Bay and hiked over to my grandparents' old place nearby.
Saturday - Home. 6K bike ride to run errands.
WHAT A GREAT WEEK!

Week of August 1

Sunday - Family BBQ in Collingwood. Tossed the ball around with the kids for a bit but otherwise a quiet day. Laughed ourselves silly at the kids and a cousin's dog splashing around in a creek that runs through the property. Very relaxing!
Monday - Last day of vacation - lazy day BUT I had so much fun on our camping trip that I booked another one! Kids and I will camp for 3 nights later this month.
Tuesday - Back to work. Climbed the stairs to my 7th floor office twice - on arrival and at lunch. Used to do this regularly and it's time to get back at it. After dinner, walked the kids down to our local pool to go swimming for an hour.
Wednesday - Work. Took the stairs once.
Thursday - Work. Took the kids swimming for an hour after dinner again.
Friday - Day off. Walked the kids to day camp then rode my bike over to the gym, worked out, then rode to the grocery store and home. That's about 4K on the bike.

Gotta move the brain too...What I'm reading this week:
Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs
Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister by Gregory Maquire


No comments:

Post a Comment