Saturday, March 17, 2012

March Break!

This week was March Break and I was off with the kids. Things started off chilly (-7C) but ended up stunningly beautiful (+21C). That's quite a range!

9.15am on a chilly Saturday morning.
Not only am I out of my warm bed, but I'm already done at the gym and am on my way home to go for a run.
I rock...some days at least!

We had a nicely fun and active week. Here's a rundown:

Saturday - Curves circuit + C25K week 7, run 2. Covered 3.35K but it was hard fought. Maybe it was the cold, I don't know, but I had to do a lot of walking. I managed to run 5mins, walk 1, run 5, walk 2, run 3, walk 2 and so on all the way out and home. Later, kids and I took the dog to a parkette for some playtime - 1.2K round trip walk:

Are you SURE you don't want to come play on the climbers, Stella?

Sunday - Family hike at the Brickworks. Between hiking, splashing in the creek, crawling up the steep walls of the old quarry and sliding down them again, it's hard to tell who came home the dirtiest - the kids, the dog or me. Bubble baths all around once we got home.


Monday/Tuesday - Went on a road trip. Wonder if you can guess where? Here's a hint:

View from our hotel room - mid afternoon

8am the next morning, same view. That's a lot of fog.
We spent hours and hours at the hotel water park, and walked our legs off hiking around town and the Falls. Haha - I did some simulated open water swim practice in the wave pool while the kids splashed around.

Drove along the gorge on our way out of town on Tuesday and saw some beautiful sights.

Niagara River meets Lake Ontario
We stopped in a small town on our way home for a few hours. My son happens to be doing a school project on a historical figure from the region, and since we were in the area we figured we should take a look around. Found some neat artifacts at the local museum and saw some interesting landmarks around town - the homestead, gravesite and so on. He took a ton of photos and I *hope* this helped make the history come a bit more alive for him...hard to tell.

He seems happy enough here, but don't be fooled. He's having a hard time getting into this project.

Wednesday - 1K run with the dog down to the dog park. Took the kids & dog down to the lake for a couple of hours:

Swans! Geese! Ducks!

Right after this, the dog rolled in a rotten fish she found on the beach.
Not sure which smells worse: a dry dog covered in dead in fish, or a wet dog who was bathed in a lake.
...then hit Curves for Zumba, a circuit and a crazy short-but-intense bootcamp.
Thursday - PJ day and major housecleaning for most of the day, then my cousin and her kids arrived!

Friday - Took everyone over to the Brickworks for a hike:

Dog is trying to figure out how to get up to the kids

Extra points if you can spot the turtles. There are 4.

So, it was a pretty good week. I did take a break from running - I laced my shoe too tightly a week ago and have had tight muscles up that leg ever since. Ice, rest, stretching. Hope to be in good shape for the St. Pat's 5K this weekend...!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures!

    I love how active you have the whole family!


    I could find 3 turtles..

    ReplyDelete